03 April 2009

Food Friday: Taco Soup

So here is the first installment of Food Fridays. I have been dreaming about this soup all week, so I figure I'll post about it in hope of actually mustering up enough energy to go to the store and buy the ingredients. We'll see... Bitty Boy was up A LOT last night. I think he wanted to make sure my boobs were still there. Nope, they didn't fall off. Yet.

I got this recipe from a dear friend of mine when we were stationed in Germany. She would serve it up with some fresh homemade french bread for dipping. It is like a heavenly party in your mouth! :) And the best part?? It is SO super easy! Perfect for any busy Mommy. It also freezes well for those days that the crayons melted in the dryer, moon sand has found its way all over the house and you have about enough energy to lift a pinky.


Pam's Taco Soup

1lb ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
3(15.5 oz) cans Mexican-style chili beans, undrained
1(15.25 oz) can whole kernal corn, undrained
1(15oz) can tomato sauce
1(14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1(4.5 oz) can chopped green chilies
1(1 oz) envelope Ranch dressing mix
1(1.25 oz) envelope taco seasoning
2.5 cups water

Toppings(as many as you like... I add them all, I have a deep unconditional love for sour cream):
Corn chips, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped tomatoes, sour cream.


1. Cook beef and onions in an extra large saucepan(think dutch oven size) over medium high heat until meat is browned and onions are tender. Stir until meat crumbles. Drain.


2. Stir beans and next 7 ingredients into beef mixture. (Yes you have to count, I'm sorry. I didn't promise there wouldn't be any math involved. If Train A left this station going 30 miles per hour...)Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Spoon soup into bowls and top with whatever toppings float your boat. Although I have to say that the chips, cheese and sour cream are musts.

4. Enjoy! But please, don't steal my sour cream away. It completes me.

No comments: