03 April 2009

What Happens When a Creative Person Has ADD

While I have never been "diagnosed," it's pretty apparent to myself and GI Joe that I have ADD, Attention Deficit Disorder(Although I like to call it Always Distracted, Darnit.) I get started with one task and then quickly get distracted and begin another. Just yesterday this was the sequence of events in about 3 minutes at my house while I was making lunch:

Need to boil water for noodles. Oops there a bowl out on the counter from breakfast. Begin washing it. Realize there is no paper towels. Leave water running to go grab some in the laundry room. Walk in there and remember I didn't put the laundry in the washer into the dryer. Oops almost out of dryer sheets. Walk into living room and begin making shopping list. Add dryer sheets. Wonder if we are out of bathroom cleaner? Walk into master bathroom to check. Oooh a scale. I wonder if I have lost any weight...

Meanwhile, the kitchen faucet is still running, the dryer has not been turned on and I still haven't started the stove to boil the water.

See what I mean? Drives GI Joe bonkers.

Well, I am also a very creative person. I always need an outlet to create... something. But I often get distracted with ANOTHER creative thing. I have a lot of hobbies, all outlets for my creative brain. These include, but are certainly not limited to, scrap-booking, sewing, bow-making, baking, photography, graphic design, card-making, stamping and now of course, blogging. I get started and get REALLY into one of these, and then get distracted with another one and it's just a vicious little cycle of Creativitus Distractus. Just call me a modern Renaissance Woman.

So now I have 3 half completed scrapbooks, tons of ribbon for un-made bows, fabric and patterns ready to be made into various projects, cardstock waiting to be created into birthday cards and my list goes on and on.

I wonder if I will ever finish them all? Will I ever be able to concentrate on just one hobby? Probably not. I love them all, each with the same amount of child-like enthusiasm. When I get bored with one, another one that seems shiny and new will distract my unfocused brain and I will get all bright-eyed-and-bushy-tailed about that.

I should get a part-time job at Hobby Lobby just for the discount....

No comments: