01 May 2009

Food Friday: Crockpot Whole Chicken

Hello out there... yes it's Friday again. Whew. What a week!
This week I am bringing you a delicious recipe for whole chicken in the crockpot... so easy! AND so inexpensive. You can get 2 meals out of this also(check back next week to see what you can make with the left over chicken... it's so yummy and easy you don't want to miss it!)


Crockpot Whole Chicken

4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
1 cup onion, chopped

1. In a small bowl, combine the spices.
2. Remove any giblets from chicken and clean chicken.
3. Rub spice mixture onto the chicken.
4. Place in resealable plastic bag and refrigerate overnight. (I usually skip this step because I'm always in a hurry or I forget lol).
5. When ready to cook, put chopped onion in bottom of crock pot(again, I love my onions so more is always better here...)
6. Add chicken. No liquid is needed, the chicken will make it's own juices.
7. Cook on low 8 hours or on high 4 hours. Be sure to use a thermometer or a pop up timer to judge doneness. You do not want your chicken to be raw. Bad bad things can happen. GI Joe used to be an Army food inspector before he switched to full GI Joe-ness. I know about these things...

And thats it! I usually serve with roasted potatoes, a yummy veggie and some fresh bread. Or Pioneer Woman's Cheese Bread. You can never go wrong with that. Just ask my Aunt Marlene... she fell in love with it about a week ago and we haven't been able to keep her away from it since. j/k ;)

ENJOY!

No comments: